Monday 6 May 2013

‘Indian Hemp is not Good for you’ – Broken Singer Majek


Despite his long drawn battle with drugs, this exceptionally gifted musician who ruled the air waves in the 80s with his evergreen song, ‘Send Down the Rains’, needs no introduction at all. Majek Fashek remains an international brand any day irrespective of being a shadow of his once vibrant self.  A recent message with the Rain Maker himself. And this is the story of his attempt to rise again.


Since your return to Nigeria, how have you been?  
Well I have to thank Jah for making it possible for me to still be alive today. My sister, Hajia Amina Oluremi Dangaji, the CEO of A+ Global Entertainment, has been the only person who fully understands me. She is a music business goddess. (Laughs) I believe that is why God brought us together to work and rekindle my career. Working with her, we have been able to achieve a lot within a space of one year and few months.
Hajia has given me two cars and a bungalow where I am now living and we have recorded a new album which was just released.

Seeing your condition, a lot of people are skeptical about your ability to bounce back. How have you been able to overcome that?
That is Nigerians for you. When one is reigning, everybody would be saying good things about the person, but let that person fall, the same people would condemn that person.  There was even a time the press was spreading stories about me, telling the public I had gone mad; I am a cocaine addict. In fact they nearly destroyed my image before the world but, Jah said no; Majek will not die, and here I am today bouncing back to a new glory. I know I passed through a lot, even when I was in America. In retrospect, I know God wanted to punish me because of my sins. I know He has forgiven me which is why He instructed me to come back home for people to witness the blessings He wants to shower me with, so that those laughing at me will see my success.
Tell us about your new album
The new album is coming under A+ GLOBAL ENTERTAINMENT in conjunction with my personal label and the work is already completed and titled, Gangstar Rasta. I am doing the record for the company based on our understanding because of Mrs Haijia Magaji.
 Let us talk about your family; we gather that your children are also into music in the United States?
Yes, my first son, Randy Majekodunmi is a music producer, while Destiny and Sean are into hip hop, and are currently recording their debut albums.
What kind of father are you to them, are they comfortable with your current life style?
You mean my children? They love me so much and every day I speak with them on phone. I am a very good father and my children have revolutionary minds like me and treat me like egg. They hate doing anything that will hurt me, although we are not living together, as they are already on their own. But I do visit them.  In fact, they never allow me to lack money. My children are wonderful and amazing.
Some of your contemporaries in the music industry are dead. Why do you think God is keeping you alive?
I think it’s because Jah has a special plan for me. My being alive is a miracle because with what Indian hemp did to me, I thought I lost everything. As you can see, I am the last Rasterferian prophet still standing in Nigeria and Africa. God is working through Alhaja Magaji to fulfill His plans for me. As you are looking at me, I bought a saxophone last year when I was in America, but I don’t want to be playing it anyhow here in Nigeria. This is why I focus more on my guitar and carry it anywhere I go.
I recall a song in which you condemned New York for its social ills. Why did you relocate to that city after that song? 
You know what happened? I lived in New York for years even before I sang that song, and I was disappointed that the city is nearly opposite of what people claim it to be. Can you believe that there are a lot of homeless people in New York? In fact, majority of them are hard drug addicts, sleeping on the streets in the night, under the cold with their blankets as shelters, some don’t even have families and they still survive.  But no matter what, USA government from time to time pay them salaries, they even rehabilitation them and take care of their feeding. In short, I saw hell in that city and from my personal experience in that city; I decided to sing something about the city. Something that is satirical about my experiences in New York City.
Don’t you think your absence can break the marriage?
I am sure that my wife is not too worried about my relocation to Nigeria. Remember, she was here last year. And I bet you nobody can take away my wife from me.
How old is your first child?
Randy, he is about 37 years old now. He is about to get married, because I know his girlfriend.
Do your children smoke Indian hemp?
No. Right from when they were kids, I have impressed it on them never to smoke Indian hemp, because of the negative effects of doing so. As you can see, since I began to reduce my rate of smoking it, I feel better. I am looking healthier than when I just returned, that was one of the good things my boss, Hajia Magaji did for me since I returned to this county. Indian hemp is not good for the health. I tell you the only thing I smoke now are cigarettes.
Back to Indian hemp, I became hooked on a particular type of hemp produced in Delta State, a harsh one for that matter, which nearly ruined my life, and it’s by God’s grace that I am still alive today. If I didn't give up the habit, I would have been mad by now. This is why I have been campaigning against it.
How soon will your wife, Rita be coming to Nigeria to visit you?
I don’t know yet, but if I buy a house as I am planning to, she will come and join me or stay for a very long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment